Every year, over 6,000 people tragically take their lives in the UK and Ireland. In this article, we’ll explore the complexities of securing life insurance after a suicide attempt and offer valuable resources for those facing this challenging situation.
To determine your eligibility for life insurance post-suicide attempt, insurers require specific information:
- Number and dates of suicide attempts.
- Any underlying mental health conditions.
- Treatments undertaken for prevention.
- External factors influencing the attempt.
Securing Post-Suicide Attempt Insurance
Obtaining life insurance after a suicide attempt is feasible, but factors influence your policy type.
Discuss potential triggers like traumatic events with insurers. Note that most standard policies in Ireland cover suicide claims after 12 months, but premiums may be higher due to perceived risk.
Factors Evaluated by Underwriters
Underwriters consider various factors:
- Timing of the suicide attempt.
- Mental health since the attempt.
- Treatments received.
- Any mitigating external factors.
Mental Health Considerations
Underwriters scrutinise mental health conditions like clinical depression, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia, which correlate with suicide risk. These conditions may also increase the risk of other risky behaviours.
The Application Process
Typically, the application process includes:
- Completing an application with personal and health details.
- Disclosing suicide attempts and related questions.
- Providing a current medical exam for verification.
We are happy to complete this with you over the phone, it only takes 10 mins.
- Very recent suicide attempts often lead to rejection.
- Untreated mental illness can result in a decline or postponement in cover.
- Past suicide attempts with treated mental illness may secure traditional coverage, albeit at non-preferred rates.
If you have been declined cover, alternative life insurance options are available. Please give us a call as we will be glad to advise you.
Coverage for Suicide
Most life insurance policies still pay the full death benefit in cases of suicide while covered.
If you require life insurance or mortgage protection after a suicide attempt, reach out to us. We’re dedicated to assisting you in finding the right coverage.
Email – tom@onelifeinsure
Phone – 01-5390410
If you’re experiencing difficult times, seek support. The Samaritans offer free, round-the-clock telephone assistance at 116 123 (UK and Ireland). For mental health concerns, the HSE provides online resources, and your GP can refer you to HSE mental health services.
The Pieta Crisis Helpline offers crisis intervention support and assistance to those bereaved through suicide. They can be reached at 1800 247 247 or by texting ‘HELP’ to 51444. If you or a loved one are in crisis, Pieta is there to provide immediate help and support.